Handmade Gelli Plate Printing

Handmade Gelli Plate Printing

I have wanted a Gelli plate since the day I first heard about them. Gelli plate printing just looks like so much fun! I’ve read various blogs about making your own, so today I finally tried it. I used the recipe by The Frugal Crafter as I wanted one that didn’t have to be kept in the fridge.

The ingredients. Of course I bought too much of everything as I am hopeless at estimating amounts!

Handmade Gelli plate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I gained a litle helper pretty quickly, as you tend to get in this house. He helped mix everything together.. “What does it smell like Cam?”… I think you can guess!!. It does have quite a strong alcohol smell.

Handmade Gelli plate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I had heard that it  is better to line the tray with plastic wrap as it makes it easier to get out. I popped it in the fridge for a couple of hours and then got impatient so took it out to start playing!. It did get fairly damaged towards the end so I think I should have left it longer.

Handmade Gelli plate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All finished and ready to play.

Handmade Gelli plate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I started with just some basic colours and shapes, just to get the hang of it.. it all soon got a bit carried away.

Handmade Gelli plate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We soon picked up another helper and it was ON!

gelli7

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I only had acrylic paints, so that’s what we used, over and over again.

gelli8

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We did get some quite pretty patterns in the end.

gelli10

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Handmade Gelli plate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

gelli11

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We did encounter a few problems along the way. I discovered pretty quickly that the edges of the plate stick very badly to the paper unless you pad paints all the way up to and down the sides of the block. I’m not sure if this was just because I pulled it out of the fridge early or if it would do this anyway. We did actually completely destroy the plate by the end of the afternoon. The boys weren’t particularly gentle with it so it was full of holes. The great thing about this recipe is that when this happens you can simply melt it down and re set it. It is currently sitting back in the fridge. This time it will be over night, so we’ll see if that makes a difference to it’s durability. To melt it down, I just broke it up into a saucepan and put on the cooktop on low. It only took about 5 mins. You can also do it for a minute or so in the microwave.

I’m going to try with some fabric paints onto fabric.. new fabrics for my journals I’m thinking :-)

 

 

 

 

Share

One Response

  1. […] is made from a piece of cotton that I printed in a spiral design on my home made Gelli plate. I then free motion stitched parts with a gorgeous metallic bronze thread to highlight the spiral;s […]

Leave a Reply