New experiments..

I have been having a load of fun this week, playing around with staining and printing fabrics, fiddling with thread tension and so much more!

I’ll start with my first bit of fun. I decided that I would finally have a go at sun printing. I had heard that you can do it with straight acrylic paints, and don’t need the flash proper paint, so as we are a little cash strapped at the moment I thought I’d give it a go. I started by painting all over my sample fabrics with basic acrylic paints. In some parts I used quite thick paint and others very watered down. I also sprayed some parts with water so that it would create a nice effect of it’s own.

All the bits ready to go. I just used what I had to hand just to see what would work

DSCN1627_01

Painted and drying. The first I have layered with grass and a piece of lace fabric. The paint also soaked nicely into the lace đŸ™‚

drying2 drying1

The bottom ones I covered with leaves and pebbles. Then left to dry in the hot, hot sun..

waiting…. waiting…..

finished-pebbles

Pebbles

finished-leaves

Leaves ..not great but still interesting

finished-lace

Lace..a bit hard to see in the photo but the pattern is really quite pretty, parts are very subtle and others quite strong.

finished-grass

Grass, very subtle but pretty

finished-full

The large finished piece..unintentional but  looks like a landscape to me..

finished-back

The back of the leaves piece. I painted them on the pebblecrete out the back..they now have a lovely impression of the pebbles on the fabric…and paint on the pebblecrete!! ooops

So. all in all I think it was a success. whether or not the results would have been better with the real paint I don’t know, but I did get some marking with acrylics. The best sections were where the paint was quite thick, not watered down too much so I’ll work on that in the future. I (and my kids) also had fun waiting for the paint to dry….

I have done more to most of these pieces now but that will have to wait for another day……