I finished another Art Quilt today, this one is called “dusk” and is 40 x 40 cm. It hasn’t come out quite as i wanted it to but sometimes that’s still OK. It started out as normal, a few layers of colour roughly blocking out the design. This picture also shows the photograph it is based on. I thought I’d show the progress of an art quilt based on this one.
I then added some of the more obvious details
Now some basic stitching to hold it all together so that I can remove the pins. I’m liking where it is going at this stage.
The first ugly stage!. I find that any artwork regardless of the medium goes through at least three “Ugly” stages.. you just have to work through it and not give up.. any piece can be salvaged from an ugly phase!
A load more stitching, and then some more stitching and we get to here. I have finished. I am still not entirely happy with the clouds on this one but sometimes you have to stop and call it finished. I have bound it is a lovely soft slightly mottled cotton that picks up the blue in the waves. I used over 20 colours of thread in this quilt.