I have wanted a Gelli plate since the day I first heard about them. Gelli plate printing just looks like so much fun! I’ve read various blogs about making your own, so today I finally tried it. I used the recipe by The Frugal Crafter as I wanted one that didn’t have to be kept in the fridge.
The ingredients. Of course I bought too much of everything as I am hopeless at estimating amounts!
I gained a litle helper pretty quickly, as you tend to get in this house. He helped mix everything together.. “What does it smell like Cam?”… I think you can guess!!. It does have quite a strong alcohol smell.
I had heard that it is better to line the tray with plastic wrap as it makes it easier to get out. I popped it in the fridge for a couple of hours and then got impatient so took it out to start playing!. It did get fairly damaged towards the end so I think I should have left it longer.
All finished and ready to play.
I started with just some basic colours and shapes, just to get the hang of it.. it all soon got a bit carried away.
We soon picked up another helper and it was ON!
I only had acrylic paints, so that’s what we used, over and over again.
We did get some quite pretty patterns in the end.
We did encounter a few problems along the way. I discovered pretty quickly that the edges of the plate stick very badly to the paper unless you pad paints all the way up to and down the sides of the block. I’m not sure if this was just because I pulled it out of the fridge early or if it would do this anyway. We did actually completely destroy the plate by the end of the afternoon. The boys weren’t particularly gentle with it so it was full of holes. The great thing about this recipe is that when this happens you can simply melt it down and re set it. It is currently sitting back in the fridge. This time it will be over night, so we’ll see if that makes a difference to it’s durability. To melt it down, I just broke it up into a saucepan and put on the cooktop on low. It only took about 5 mins. You can also do it for a minute or so in the microwave.
I’m going to try with some fabric paints onto fabric.. new fabrics for my journals I’m thinking 🙂
I have just finished setting up my brand new wordpress.org website and blog yippee. I will be posting my blog on there from now on. I’m a bit sad however as I lost all my likes and followers during the move..
luckily your lovely comments have all stayed with me 🙂
I know you are still out there, so if you would like to continue seeing what I’m about then I would be ever so grateful if you could pop over to www.bekahdu.com.au/blog and follow me over there.
See you there. 🙂
I had a request on my Facebook page recently to make some Bird of Paradise and other tropical flowers. So today was the day to start. I thought I’d try a slightly different way of doing them. I normally just use small bits of fabric to make of my design, this time I thought I’d try making the body of the design with raw edge fused applique.
I started with a simple line drawing, based on a painting that I did many years ago when I was a painter.. You can see the original painting in the top image. The original is long gone so all I have left are printouts of photos. I traced sections of the flowers from the line drawing and fused then to the correct colour fabric with vliesofix.
I really like the background of that painting, the way the blues and greens blend together, and wanted to achieve a similar affect with the art quilt. I decided to use a gorgeous printed sheer fabric (I scored a lovely huge piece of this brand new from the local Op Shop!). It has a fabulous texture and sheen to it. I used the wrong side as my front though, to tone down the sheen and the bright colours a little. I layered it over a soft pale blue cotton, so that it would gain an extra blue tinge. I used a little quilters spray glue to hold it together as the sheer fabric is very slippery!.
I then fused my cut flower pieces to my background. Of course my flower turned out the reverse of the painting as I forgot to reverse the image before tracing!.
And then started to stitch.. then stitched some more
Then stitched some more until it was all finished
It then went into a black box frame and came out like this
I made a slightly different journal this week. A bit more fun and a bit more bright!. I added a free motion sunflower that I made a year or so ago .. once I made it I didn’t know what to do with it so it has just sat there shining at me …..I also did some hand stitching and added some buttons to the journal to spark it up even more.
I left a few of raw edges on this one so that the gentle fraying becomes part of the design.