I’ve been playing with some new techniques again today. I love the randomness of randomness so I have been randomly stitching strips of fabrics together then randomly stitching and cutting those strips. I wanted to try to get the hang of curves in the fabric as well as inserts so my randomness included both of these.
I have used just about every blue fabric in my stash, from vintage sheets to bits of upcycled clothing to canvas and quilting cotton. The red strips are satin that has been folded and inserted, so that it stands out from the cloth. It’s a great way to use up some of my vast stash of fabrics.
At the moment it is nothing more than a piece of fabric, I wanted to sample these techniques for an idea I had for the next competition that I want to enter..I have a few lined up this year!
Excuse the stray threads, I haven’t really finished with it yet. This is just a small section, I got a bit carried away so it is quite a large piece. I may well quilt it up and see what happens….
I have just finished this small art quilt. It is for a small competition in West Australia. It is a challenge competition, where they send a piece of fabric and you must use 75% of the fabric in your quilt. Great I thought, that will be a different challenge for me!. Until I received the piece of fabric and hated it!. It is a really blah pink colour with quite a boring print..uninspired right from the start!.
I have finished it ..finally..after many false starts, cutting up and restitching and thinking maybe I just wouldn’t do it!. I couldn’t just start again completely once I’d begun as of course I had to use the bit of fabric that I had already stitched and cut!. I still don’t really like this piece but here it is!
The theme was “City Scene” so I thought I’d try stitching the scene onto the pink to somewhat cover it’s blahness. there is actually a fair bit of detail in there, little park benches and people etc….it still didn’t really inspire me after finishing but as I said I now HAD to use it!. There mulitple layers with all the cutting and restitching, so it does have a fair bit of texture to it as well..which I do like!.. We weren’t allowed to alter the fabric in any way otherwise I think I may just have painted over it LOL. Anyway, there it is, warts and all.
On a more positive note, my “Looking Out the Window” quilt arrived home today from it’s sojourn at the National Wool Museum..it’s funny how you can get so emotionally attached to these things..I was very happy to see her back. 🙂
Following on from my sun printing episode, I decided to torture my samples a bit more and add some rust. I have quite an extensive rusty objects collection from the days when I studied Sculpture. I used to create works from found objects and I loved rust!
The leaves sample from my sun print experiment wasn’t very exciting so I thought I’d add some of my rusty friends to it to add some zing.
I put it in a bed of plastic so that it would slow down the drying a bit. I also sprinkled it with a little salt to enhance the rusting.
Finished..love the pretty flower
Now to cut it up and sew it….
Wow, I just woke up to an amazing email!. I won in the Art Quilt category!! This is such a huge surprise, huge thankyou’s go out to all who voted for me and in particular to Amy for hosting such an amazing festival. There really are some incredibly talented people out there, it is such a joy to look through everyone’s work and read the stories attached to them.
This is the first time that I’ve won anything like this, so I’m just a little excited :-))
I am entering a competition at the end of this month. There is an array of themes to choose from but I thought I would go with landscape as I am lucky enough to be surrounded by beautiful places.
Here is my Tranquil landscape..I may do some others that are not so tranquil..
The piece is made from a huge range of different fabrics raw edge appliqued to create the landscape. Some of the fabrics included are: tulle, satin, quilters cotton, upcycled upholstery fabrics, chiffon….and the list goes on. Whatever was the right colour and texture for the situation was used. I did a rough drawing onto calico then filled it in with the fabric scraps.
I have used a variety of free motion quilting stitched to create different textures and to accentuate the different textures of the various fabrics.
It is bound with a very dark green cotton hand stitched at the back and is quilted onto bamboo batting. It has blue upcycled cotton on the back. It measures 58.5 x 45.5 cm (23 x 17.5 in).
I made another little bowl last week. This time I stitched some shiny seed beads to the top to add some sparkle. I also made in in a more organised way, instead of random stitching I created small organic circles in three colours, Again, it creates an amazing shadow!
These bowls are only small as I only have a small frame to stitch onto.., just little trinket bowls. I think I may need to invest in a bigger one so that I can do some Bigger bowls!